Thursday, August 10, 2017

text me

Every year for the past 6 years I get a text from a former YL kid, Will, on my birthday.  I've come to anticipate it with excitement.  My head thinks....

I wonder if he will text this year?  Is he too busy?  He's a grown adult now.  Surely he won't remember this year.  Maybe his faith or feelings have faded. 

However, Will never disappoints.  He has even been texting on Mother's Day, Father's Day, and the births of each of my sons.  They are texts that I cherish and I save for years.  They remind me that kids are worth it.  That YL is making a difference and leaving a legacy.  That students deserve to know who God is and how HUGE He loves them.  That they want to be heard, and known, and loved by caring adults.  That they want purpose and life to the full.  That YL camp is really the best week of many of their lives because they found the source of LIFE... a relationship with Jesus Christ.

You see Will and I sort of have the same birthday.  On my birthday 6 years ago Will said YES to a relationship with Jesus.  He came to life.  I don't know why God allowed me to be there, see it, and be a small part of it, but it has been one of the best birthday gifts I've ever received.  We got to walk beside him as his faith grew thru the ups and downs and curve balls.  We watched Will become a leader, have a depth of faith and compassion for others that is unmatched.  We watched him play collegiate sports and be a light in dark places.  Every year I am reminded of His goodness and my love for Will and kids like Will.

This is the text I received this year:

"Tracee, it is so late, but I couldn't let the day go by without telling you happy birthday, and thank you for the boldness, and courageous opportunities you have taken to share the Gospel to me and probably thousands of kids and because of you Jesus is being proclaimed and His children are coming to know Him!  I am thankful for you and Young Life, and because of this ministry 6 years ago I made the best decision of my life to follow Jesus, and here I am doing ministry for a living.  Never would've saw that coming!  I hope to come back to KC soon and visit!  I hope you, Billy,  Otto and Jude are doing well!"

-Will


1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! God is doing incredible things through you. God is good, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete