Wednesday, October 9, 2013

There is more...


We had YL Club #3 last night.  Another incredible night.  Even with a huge soccer game going on over 120 students showed up for club.  We heard from one of our leaders about our need for more, our need for Jesus, our need for community.  The verse that continues to ring true in the ears of students was spoken:  John 10:10- Jesus says, "I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full."

YL is not just about Club.  There is more... We are about relationships.  A YL leader meets students where they are and earns the right to be heard.  We do life with students.  We offer small groups, hang outs, show up at their games, show up in their life because we care about them and want to offer them the hope and freedom Christ offers all of us.  Some are ready and eager, some say not yet, some say never... and we love each kid regardless.  I love that about YL.

For example, these crazy senior LSN girls and more not pictured are coming to my house Sunday.  Many are coming with me to church before, then my house for Sunday Funday.  They are invited into my world to be a part of my life as well.  We will have lunch, do some crafting/cooking, share truth and life.  There is more... in YL besides Club.
Senior Girls at Club last night

I wanted to share a text one of my former YL kids that now attends University of Arkansas sent me last night at about 2am.   :)  I think she said it well.  There is more...

Hi ya! So this text is about to be very long, but my roommates life is being changed by a young life bible study here. It's so cool to hear her talk and hear for the first time that Jesus gives you life even though she grew up in church. And that our lives are so freaking messy and that's ok, but God stays the same. It's SOO cool. 

So it made me want to read through my old prayer journals from high school and from when god radically changed my life through young life. I've come to realize lately its sometimes hard living in the Bible Belt. Or being surrounded by so many believers. It's easy to get caught up in knowledge for knowledge sake and just doing doing doing and tidying up to make everything clean. I labor so hard but I forget who Jesus is and what he's done for me. How sweet he is. How simple my love for him was about a year and a half ago. I miss it. I didn't know crap about the bible, couldn't quote any verse or tell you who Paul or Abraham or anyone was, literally not a thing, but I loved him with all my heart. And I knew it was in him that my hope and comfort and rescuer was found. I called and he answered every single time. I see the truth in my old prayer journal. A child like faith. And knowing that's all that matters. I hope I never lose that NEED for Jesus. That desire to just be with him. I'm not sure how I understood grace so well then, understood my depravity and helplessness but knew and trusted that god was good and that he was for me and with me. 

It's just really cool and I have you and God alone to thank for it. Your life, your job, your constant sacrifice towards your self, your love for me, your love for Jesus mostly, it turned my life upside down and back again. I'm not who I was. Thank you Tracee.  I could literally never say thank you enough. You mean the world to me and so does young life. 

Next week- NO club Tuesday.  Instead YL Late Night- Oct. 17th.  See calendar for more info. 
http://lsyl.weebly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment