Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Camp Continues...

YL Campaigners



Camp continues.  Tonight over 40 high school students came together to go deep, to get real, and to learn more of how to follow Jesus.  One of the many things I love about YL, is we continue to share life with students.  Camp is not just a one time event we tuck away and move forward from.  We build upon those relationships, that family/community, and students wanting more and saying YES to following Jesus.  YL leaders walk beside students from where they are to where they want to be.  Tonight we had YL Campaigners- our more in depth Bible Study- and it was incredible.  We talked about where we have seen God since being home, how God is in all things- especially music, unpacked Matthew 7:13-14, and asked real and hard questions about following Jesus.

 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
  
I highlight of my night was choosing 3 songs to listen to and seeing how in the midst of it you can hear God.  That if we stop and listen we can often find more in what we are listening too.  For example, we listened to Phillip Phillips- Gone, Gone, Gone:

When enemies are at your door
I'll carry you away from war
If you need help, if you need help.
Your hope dangling by a string
I'll share in your suffering
To make you well, to make you well.

 
Give me reasons to believe
That you would do the same for me.

And I would do it for you, for you.
Baby, I'm not moving on
I love you long after you're gone.

For you, for you.
You would never sleep alone.
I love you long after you're gone
And long after you're gone, gone, gone.


God is in those lyrics.  Phillip Phillips maybe singing about a girl but I hear God in those lyrics and His promises to never leave us, to rescue us, to heal, to give us life in the midst of hard times.  I encouraged students to listen to music differently and see if they could hear more from their country songs, to hipster tunes, to K-Love.  I believe a lot of it is telling a bigger story.  So my phone is now blowing up with texts from students telling me a song they connect with and now hear something more.  One student texted this one and said this song is how she feels now after saying yes to real life following Jesus and it really got me...

Listen for more... and know (especially the beginning) is how many students feel now after choosing the small and narrow gate that few ever find. 

First Day of My Life- Click to Listen

Amen.

For more on YL Events and Activities:
YL EVENTS CALENDAR 

No comments:

Post a Comment